Sunday, January 27, 2008

Living in a foreign country

Some fun things about South Africa I've discovered:

-Traffic lights are called robots, and they're all on posts on the street corners, not hanging above
-Currency is in rand. We divide by seven to get the American equivalent, so if a sandwich is R30, it's really only about 4 US dollars.
-The general taxis are called minibus taxis. We took out first one the other day--a pretty interesting experience. All the drivers try to haggle you into taking their bus instead of someone else's. They cram as many people as they can into this van-type thing, and stop and get out every few blocks to try and haggle other people. We went from downtown Cape Town to our suburb town, about a 15 minute drive, for only R4--less than a dollar!
-There are places called townships out on the Cape Flats, which are primarily informal settlements that blacks were forced into during apartheid. They are now slums, made up entirely of black people, often housing 10 people in one little shack.
-This country LOVES curry. There's a high Indian population here. I wish I liked spicy foods more!
-I still have not gotten used to driving on the wrong side of the road. It's hard to cross streets when we're so used to the American way. I also got thrown off by the "LEFT turn on red."
-I'm slowly learning some Xhosa, which is one of the eleven official languages here. It's one of the tribal languages and is spoken by many, along with English and Afrikaans. The x signifies a "click," which is really weird to hear. The langauge is full of clicks, as is Zulu. I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to click! (We just pronounce it "Koe-sah," without the click.)

Things are slowly starting to become natural to me, so if I think of anything else that I haven't realized, I'll add it. Still no internet at home, but we're working on it!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hi ruth,
Great jog giving info about S.Africa! I like it! We miss you and Rachel can't wait to go see you.

Mom

Rachel said...

Lets rent a car when I'm there and try out hand at driving on the left haha :)